Writers’ Choices: Grammar for Effective Writing is based on the principle that many of the tools writers use to make and convey meaning are grammatical; they are the tools of syntax with which we build sentences.
Intended for college and advanced high school students as well as for teachers who want to strengthen their own knowledge of English grammar, the book
- covers English syntax from parts or speech, verb forms, and basic sentence pattern to dependent clauses, verbal phrases, absolute constructions, and parallelism and coordination
- combines syntax with sentence rhetoric in every chapter
- shows how syntactic choices can have rhetorical effects
- uses sentence diagramming to make sentence analysis visible
- uses sentence combining to show how sentences are put together
- includes practice with using sentence structures effectively within paragraphs
- features creative exercises with varied, culturally diverse content
- invites students to create scores of correct sentences rather than to fix incorrect ones
- supplies sample tests, a glossary, a review of common surface problems, an index, and exercise answer keys.
Available from XanEdu through their on-line catalog.
ISBN 13: 978-1-58152-898-5